03. Heritage

Housing successful commerce since 1940

Purpose built between 1938 and 1940 for Caledonian Insurance
Company, Scotland’s largest insurance company at the time.

SC00465228
1

1938

Architects Leslie Grahame Thomson and Frank J Connell are commissioned by Caledonian Insurance Company to build their new headquarters.

SC01223341

1939

Sculptor Alexander Carrick is commissioned to cast two larger than life sized bronze statues representing ‘Safety’ (man with girl) and ‘Security’ (woman with baby and boy) for the main entrance.

SC01208851

1940

Upon completion of construction, Caledonian Insurance Company moved from its previous headquarters at 19 George Street, today known as The George.

90s

1980's

The interior was reconfigured to function as a multi-tenant building serving companies in the insurance and finance sectors.

Capital Building St Andrew Square

2007

Major works to restore and modernise the building are carried out.